Thursday, April 21, 2011

Splints to Callouses

Pain
I remember my high school track coach telling me, in an awful Dr. Evil imitation, that I should run as if I were on hot magma, lightly setting my foot down with the ball touching first, then quickly picking it back up. Yeah, interesting, but I was already too invested to switch my horse midstream. People run the way they run, and that was it.

Back then I ran the 400m, and like many of my teammates, developed some type of injury. From then on, anytime I ramped up mileage, shin splints came along for the ride.

Discovery
I didn't stop running when I moved to Palo Alto, I just quit before I knew I had to break out the ice and ibuprofen. Then one day I stopped into a local running shop on California Avenue and heard a strange word. Midfoot. Midfoot. Midfoot. I read more and more about different strides and gaits, paces and foot strikes. And I tried them out. Mileage increased, but injury did not.

Then came the VFFs. Quickly thereafter, I took them off.

I'm on about my third month of running every other day completely barefoot.


I'm not the first, and I won't be the last. But I'd still like to see what we can discover...

No comments:

Post a Comment